7 to 14 Hz relaxed yet aware, meditative
Alpha brainwaves are lower frequency waves. The state is generated when our thoughts are really not concentrated and our minds wander freely, or we are in a relaxed state such as meditating or daydreaming.
We also experience Alpha brainwaves when we are gently busy with routine tasks like pottering in the garden, taking a shower, putting on makeup, doing light housework. Alpha is considered to be the bridge between the conscious mind and the subconscious mind.
Features and Benefits of an Alpha State
- Our brain hemispheres become naturally synchronized, or in-phase with each other.
- Relaxed detached (absent-minded) awareness and daydreaming mind.
- Enables us to remember our dreams and meditative states.
- Link between conscious and subconscious mind, gateway to meditation.
- Receptive to casual and auto – suggestions (hypnosis state)
- Increased vividness benefits creative visualisation and triggers imagination
- Increased memory retention, concentration & focus for super learning
Health benefits include:
- Reduced anxiety
- Alleviates stress and depression
- Reduces chronic pain
- Reduction of high blood pressure
- Increases athletic performance
- Increased cerebral blood flow
- Increased motivation, energy, and happiness